Thursday, July 26, 2012

Recovery, the fourth discipline

Since I last wrote, I have allegedly been "recovering" from the Ironman race, which was about a month ago now.

Recovery from such an event is unique in itself. One feels that, traditionally, as long as the legs no longer hurt, the recovery is complete. However, the minute I walked out the door for a short run about two weeks later, it was clear that recovery was far from over.

We raced about 3 weeks after the Ironman, but was in fact slightly slower than the year before in the same race. The race was the most fun I had had with triathlon for a while. No self imposed pressure. Just the enjoyment of triathlon which I hadn't experienced for a while. Having been caught up in all the training and racing, I hadn't truly felt the smiles and enjoyment of a race since the last hundred yards of IM Nice.

Since that race a couple of weeks ago my legs have been heavy and although I have been out the door training, I have always had to force myself out the door. This all culminated it getting sick last night after my 40miles of riding and subsequently being hold up inside, completely spent, facing two more days of recovery. It's like they say, recovery is the fourth discipline of triathlon. How true they are this week.

Napoleon's birthday on Sunday should finish off the recovery nicely.

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment