Sunday, February 3, 2013

2013 has arrived!

Welcome 2013!

We have arrived at 2013. The year is entirely different from last year's epic journey to Ironman France. This year will be the journey of the half ironman. Just as enduring as the full iron distance experience. However, this one resonates in different areas. Not as long, but plenty of potential for mental and physical difficulties. 

This year our main goal is the Kansas Half Ironman in Lawrence Kansas. Hopefully, if the stars align, there will be a couple of other races to be added to the calendar.

One of the other, more unique races, that I will be attempting this year is The Minnetonka Challenge, albeit as a relay. It's a 5 mile swim across Lake Minnetonka near Minneapolis. Physically, I will only be swimming 2 miles of the challenge, with help from 2 others for the rest of the distance. The biggest challenge will be a mental one.

With the sting in the face from the jelly fish during last year's France race, I am concerned about my ability for bravery in the open water. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe getting out there will be the issue. The issue will lie with how I deal with the anxiousness when in the middle of the lake and presented with whatever may lay out there. Mostly, during a race, I don't allow myself the time to think about it. Competitive drive taking over. However, it will be an interesting first swim of the season, when the ice finally melts.

Training starts tomorrow. It will be a great season, full of plenty of new challenge with different faces.

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment