Monday, May 19, 2014

Hope, random and forgetfulness

Frankly, although I probably don't have the most solid set of ankles of all time, I still have a little hope on my side. Today, 9 miles were completed as part of the long run portion of this weeks long arduous training. Coupled with a complete and somewhat tortuous hilly long bike yesterday, it made for my first complete week of training for the first time this year. 

If I am ever completely honest with myself, I would perhaps acknowledge that the ankle isn't at 100%, to say the least. The doc will tell more come the end of the week and suspicions remain as within the inner most subconscious that fluid remains in the ankle joint. The deployment of heat/ice methodology (one far more welcome than the other) has made an impact. The re-deployment of the ice bath, championed by the likes of Paula Radcliffe, has also contributed to a positive week. It's amazing how it is so easily forgotten from one season to the next, all the tricks that helped so much last season. A simple conversation with "Constitution" on the long hilly ride around St Paul yesterday sprang in to action the much needed stop at the local BP for two 20 pound bags of ice and a wobbly bike back the house. This was shortly followed by by some debatably girlish screaming and some inquisitive looks from the dog and cat as I entered the first ice bath of the season.

There are numerous debates about the impact of the ice bath. All I could say, as far as my tortuous self experimentation goes, is that it appears to have a positive impact on my ever complaining body.....

....This is what I love about triathlon! As I write this week, I was in flight on my way to work and spotted the tell tale sign of the Transition Bag as a carry on. I struck up a conversation and as it turns out this lady specializes in sports injury for triathletes. For the next hour I continued to receive some free medical advice on my ankle. Winner. Found out there is some serious work to do on my ankle mobility and hip flexors.

What should also focused upon is my memory. A solicitous email just crossed my inbox congratulating on a fine race! Naturally curious about one successfully races whilst not actually being there, an expeditious search of the results led to the discovery of my very first DNS. Unsurprising really. Would have been nice to have to have remembered. Ironically, there is a slim recollection of signing up during half price Black Friday thinking a duathlon would be good practice for the forthcoming season. I was even off! Oh the irony!

Plenty to work on this week. 

Good luck on this all!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment