Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Challenges...they are what makes us

Challenges and failure allows us to develop in to the people we are today. Without these we lose the foundation of life that fills the bags of experience that we carry on our backs throughout each of our journeys. We must fail. It's simple. The Wright Bros. failed multiple times before achieving flight for the first time. Imagine if they had achieved flight with their first efforts. We would never have known all the multiple dynamics that are involved without theirs (and others) falling short of the grade the first few times.

Challenges can manifest themselves in many different ways and likewise their subsequent failures. So far, this week has been nothing but challenges. However, challenges that I may face will be completely different to challenges others could face that same day. In both cases, those hills that we must climb will continue to make us who we are in subsequent days. Those gradients are often less enjoyable than we would like. Mainly because they result in undesirable outcomes, or failures as we might perceive them to be. They may be small or grandiose in our own eyes. What we subsequently take away from those grand climbs in life will gives us the tools to attack tomorrow's.

Last weeks training began as normal. The first hard week or two before we dial it back and begin to taper. The long ride was a joy. Early, and very sleepy, start the morning. The wind was calm and temperature ideal. It couldn't have been a better day. 

105 miles later we were done. A quick change and out the door Maggy and I trotted for a short "transition run", during which my knee decided it was going to challenge me. Pain. Noticeable and unwelcome pain. No twisting, impacting or any of your typical knee induced trauma. Just the first few steps, like an ambush. It didn't prevent my striding, but it made it uncomfortable. Ice was applied and off we went to the pub :). The next day Constitution and I hit the cool, calm waters of our local lake for an early swim. Pristine swimming conditions would be an understatement.


It was gorgeous! However, just a few strokes in to the session and goggles began to leak and break. No spares were around and the session was very short lived. A decision to return that afternoon with fresh goggles (and spares) was made. The afternoon did not afford us the tranquility we had welcomed in the morning. High waves (for a lake) and healthy winds were now on the menu.  This was going to be a challenging swim. It went very well, despite the challenges of the choppy, green and cloudy lake water. It was this lake water that was to be the downfall and new challenge of the week. Despite my best efforts, I did sample some of the water that afternoon. Not a good vintage and one I don't recommend, and nor does my body. The body began a sit-in protest the next day. Despite my best efforts on Friday and Saturday, the the lake's inner secrets won over my stomach and body and knocked me for six. It was like watching your favourite boxer take a direct hit and kiss the mat. This took care of the rest of the weeks training. I did manage a painful 8 mile run Saturday morning, which was another failure of the week. Knee pain, coupled with knocking my immune system down further, made that run a key run for all the wrong reasons.

Now Tuesday has arrived and weakness remains from the bacteria that attacked the belly's inner musings. Slowly getting back, my body hacking through the mess that the fever left behind, finding it's way out in to clearer pastures. This challenge has enforced more of a taper that I would have liked. However, it will allow me to experience a new approach. It will also keep me from running. Something my knee would appreciate, along with my immune system. A positive: the timing is certainly better than last year, occurring 4 weeks from race day instead of 10 days.

There have indeed be many challenges followed by failures this week and the impact is undoubtedly still ongoing. However, it is for ourselves that we should welcome them, even if we don't set out the bunting and ticker tape parade for their arrival, because they will allow us self improvement for each day, and the next. The outcome may be cloudy and obscured initially, but it will clear as the sun comes up and sheds light on our better selves. This I truly hope is the case, but one I can not deny has shown itself to be many times in the past.

Good luck to us all!

P.s. This could not be more evident for English cricket. As I type, they are failing miserably at the challenges New Zealand are throwing their way!

No comments:

Post a Comment