Sunday, April 7, 2013

Diet and Northern California


Been quite the self reflecting week.  Was able to see my own preaching in practice. I began to feel tired at the beginning of the week and kept on pushing. Ignoring my body's request for rest. Sleeping a lot in the day. Initially, I thought I was over training, but a quick chat with a mate of mine and it became clearer that perhaps my diet was to blame.

At the end of last year, I became much more vegetarian orientated, although not 100%. Now, as I hear the cries of my wife, being vegetarian is the not directly responsible for my fatigue. More so, it's the fact that I have not accounted for the change in diet and adapted it to suit the increase in training that my schedule is now experiencing. There are many a professional athlete who is a vegetarian or vegan. However, they adjust and are far more strict with what they eat. Not so with my diet. My diet leans heavily toward sweets and lots of breads. It needs variance and balance. Imbalance was easily glossed over in previous years by my non-vegetarian diet. Something I plan on addressing in the coming weeks.

The monotony of being on the road tends to create a very singular diet that can stay fresh on the road. However, with singularity we always find a lack of balance. I need to talk to some people and listen to their ideas on how to add that much needed balance to my lunch bag whilst on the road. This, I feel, will begin to address extended recovery time. Admittedly, I find it fascinating to look at a human body in such a way and see how we can easily influence ourselves by the quality of the fuel that we put inside.

To end on a more positive note, thanks to celebrating 5 years of marriage with my beloved wife, we found ourselves in Northern California visiting friends. A very enjoyable 90 min run followed by a fantastic drive through the country is a beautiful way to combine long workouts with the weekend. Lets hope I can keep up that trend in coming weeks! During that drive I also got to see how easy it is to be Organic in California. How appealing!

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment