Friday, April 26, 2013

Suburbia: Where Sidewalks End

Yesterday was windscreen repair day. The process taking a little less than two hours and conducted by a reputable establishment, yet one that insists on planting itself in the middle of industrial suburbia nowhere.

 So, with two hours to kill, I set out in search of my local Caribou coffee. It was only a about 1 mile north of my current location and considering I had two hours to kill, I thought I would stretch my legs. However, I did take my city attitude with me, failing to fully embrace my suburban surroundings.

 By this point, having visited many a suburban hotel around the country (on one occasion actually falling down a drainage ditch in the pitch black due to this very issue) one would think that full awareness should have already been gained about the pitfalls of walking around US suburbia. For some reason, I clearly had higher hopes for Minnesota.

 It simply amazes me how planners chose or not chose to build a sidewalk. Walking along and suddenly finding a sidewalk leading to an intersection suddenly and miraculously stop 100 ft short. Perhaps they ran of concrete. It is expensive, you know. However, as I dodged traffic and received looks of astonishment from commuters passing me in the enormous SUV as I walked the grass embankments (generous description) I began to wonder why on earth once you leave the city, sidewalks gradually disappear or are only built in short spurts. Having a little over a mile to contemplate this and the dominating sounds of honking horns and exhaust fumes to ensure I wasn't distracted, I came to a conclusion. There appears to be a fear of walking from A to B in the suburbs. Admittedly, things are much more spread out and take longer to get to. However, it's as if the world outside the city wouldn't dream of even trying to walk/run/bike such an endeavor. Why else would we simply stop a sidewalk 100ft short of the intersection? Or even better, provide a crosswalk for pedestrians at a traffic light, yet no sidewalk on either side to continue said walking?

 It truly baffles me. We complain of gas prices, yet wouldn't consider walking, or so it appears. We complain of the state of the roads, yet can simply avoid it, or even mitigate it, but simply choosing to walk/bike once in a while. I encourage all to kick their "fear of walking" and demand sidewalks in suburbia! It would add an all round benefit.

 Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment