Monday, June 17, 2013

Challenge Henley begins!

 It's been a busy June so far. Completed Kansas Ironman 70.3 (bloody branding. Simply out, half ironman) in early June. Overall, it was a good performance race for me. Had one of my better bike performances, although there remains a lot of room for improvement! The most enjoyable part of the race, began when my tire exploded. Fortunately, I was going uphill at the time, at slow speed, so aside from the 'bang', it was quite a subdued event. It was quite calming in fact. I was quite tight at the time and in one loud bang, all the tension released with the realization that I was no longer racing, simply hoping just to finish.

 Once the outstanding support crew fixed me up with a nice new tire (not just an inner tube fix) I was on my way. It was enjoyable to be cruising along, in somewhat a sadistic way, and actually passing people. Normally, this is a rare occurrence for me. I will swim well and then proceed to bike for the next 3 hours with everyone insisting on passing me. Now the tables were turned, admittedly because I was at the back of the pack with all the new triathletes. However, I was actually beginning to enjoy the event, instead of just thrashing through it. This may be obvious to others who experience this every time they race on a bike, but it was a rare find for my bike leg. A feeling not to be forgotten.

 Once the race took us back to the park from which we began, the crowds became thicker and louder and the rest of the run was a blast. Despite the distinctly slow finishing time, I was really pleased with the experience I gained from the race.

 With a week off, I began Challenge Henley (a full Iron Distance race) training today. Hopped in the hotel pool early this morning, tethered myself to the steps and swam for an hour. A great way to turn the tiny hotel pool in to a reasonable workout. Downside is the tendency for nausea, swimming in e same spot with waves crashing back against you from the wall. The plus results from the same experience, giving you a small look in to the open water element of chop.

 It was a nice feeling to begin the training leading to the next major race. However, there was definitely some suffering experienced in Kansas at the half iron distance and it is difficult to escape the foreboding feeling of the suffer fest that the full distance will bring. "Welcome pain, I've been expecting you!"

 Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment