Sunday, September 22, 2013

First run back: Stiff!

It was a perfect morning to head out of the hotel and experience one of my favourite morning runs along the Arkansas river. What better place to see how the legs are recovering from the beating they took two weeks ago.

My FO and I headed out the door early-ish, enjoying the peace and quiet of a Saturday morning run. I completed a 15minute dynamic stretching routine in my room beforehand. The back of my legs feeling particularly tight. The first fews miles were a gradual loosening of the tired fibers. They loosened up well. At about mile 3 (I had only planned on a 40 minute run, but got carried away. It was such a nice day!) the familiar discomfort I had felt during the race returned to the left leg. The "pain" I felt during the ironman, I suspect, was overuse from the day and it's uneven running surface and it subsequently showed up around mile 3 today. Uncomfortable would be a good word for how it felt. Not prohibitive. However, we ran just under an hour, holding about 9.5min/mile and that was probably all my legs would have wanted. Possibly less!

Definitely still very much recovering the legs. Biking doesn't appear too arduous and I haven't been back in the pool yet. The 10 mile run in 2 weeks should be interesting to say the least!

Now for some more recovery and social excessing for a few weeks. So much more fun when you don't HAVE to do it.

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment