Monday, September 9, 2013

Iron Distance Race #2

Challenge Henley September 8th 2013

I can safely say that hurt more than the last one. It takes time to reflect on how a race went and get an idea of what went right and wrong, but here is my initial reaction. 

The morning was cold and very foggy. The day before the temperature had dropped by 20f. A combination of this drop and the warmer river water presented us with a very challenging swim. Not to mention that the outside air temp. was only 45f. A combination of these two factors lead to quite a disorientating swim. You couldn't see where you were or where you were going, all the while trying to keep the extremities from numbing. Compared to last years Mediterranean swim quite the turn around. 
However, that said, considering it as a river swim, I felt it went well. 

The minute we exited the swim it dawned on me quite how cold the first hour on the bike was going to be. There was no sunshine for at least 3hours in to the bike. During the first lap I combatted my hands and feet numbing, which made changing gears interesting, and a painful stomach. Turns out I was hungry and by the start of lap two, I was feeling better. However, that first lap would come to bite me at the beginning of the 3rd lap. I had spent so much time warming myself that I had failed to consume a lot of my nutrition. A monumental bonk ensued and the emergency reserves were quickly enacted. I will seriously have to examine how I fuel on the bike for future races. An new approach is needed. 

Somehow though, probably a combination of my fantastic support and little nutrition, I made it to the run. Now this is where the course gets really cheaky. Despite the subtly hilly bike course, you are then presented with a run portion that has a large amount of off road running, across grass fields and gravel paths. This would have a major impact of my run. I was running in my normal running shoes which really weren't up to the task. Should have studied more! I started off well enough, but shortly in to the 3rd lap the legs began to complain. Nutrition had improved but the hurt had begun. Luckily, my support came to the rescue again and I had my brother along side me for the final portion of the run. Saved me. Literally! 

As usual, I was emotional at the finish. The crowds were amazing. Very local feel   Huge!!!

Would I do this race again? Not sure. Wasn't happy about the run course, but it was very worthwhile. Another one in the books. Time for some much needed time off!


Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment