Saturday, July 5, 2014

Countdown has begun

Stamford, CT July 5th 2014


As this is typed on yet another hotel computer, having just finished another stationary bike workout, it dawns on me that there is now less than one month remaining until race day.


As it has been mentioned before, we find ourselves at the business end of the season. However, as this post is typed out on a questionably sanitary keyboard, I find myself far more relaxed and much more excited that in years past. The end is coming in to the light and I imagine in my vivid thoughts crossing the finish line on Pearl Street. I wonder if I will receive a contact high as I plod the last few meters in to the finish. It might be a tough one to call, as delirium is likely to have already set in. Here's hoping the Ben & Jerry's stays open until late that night!


As far as training is going, the week was positive, if not a bit unseasonably chilly for my long bike and run. I was joined along the windy and cloudy morning by Napoleon who made the ride that much less solitary. They say you must train your mind to be alone for the long periods out on the race day course. Be there, done that. Now I just want some company for long training days. Napoleon took the first shift of two hours, during the wind and brisk nature of early morning. Next up was Greg The Neighbour, who was was good enough to humor me for the next three. Greg is a naturally strong climber and we headed out to St Paul to test the climbing legs. It was a tough day, not helped by the sudden appearance of abundant sunshine and warmth, not helped by my outer shell which was unable to be removed. The combination of climbing, sun and heat left me a wreck later on that night. I failed to renew my energy stores readily, resulting in a foul mood and too much dehydration. I feared for the next day's long run at this point.


As the next day appeared over the horizon, I awoke to another reminder of how resilient the human body can be. Although sore, I managed to get out the door and have a very good run. It wasn't the quickest, but the body responded amazingly and despite the strong sun and increasing heat, I felt the tank only 3/4 empty with room to spare at the end. A good feeling after the day before. All the positives that are thrown my way will be welcomed with open arms at this point.


Today was spent virtually touring the Cote D'Azur on the loudest indoor bike known to man. Very apt as this is where the first race was run. It really is a beautiful area and I feel there is unfinished business in the town of Nice.


For the rest of the day, swim shops will be dialed around to try and find anyone who is willing to print on my race suit. I surprisingly difficult task to accomplish.


Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment