Wednesday, July 30, 2014

No Danger Denver

I now find myself at the kitchen counter of my friend and lead sponsor. It's been two nights since I arrived and even though the body is not quite where it needs to be, the trip seems to be ticking along nicely. 
Downtown Denver from 7000ft

The bike guru that Mitch is and has lead my "Boy Blue" to be in the best shape it has been in since I bought it. Who knew you could take off the bottom bracket!? The bike now has race wheels, a new chain and cassette and pedals. Yes, this does constitute something new for race day. However, allow me to explain. The likely culprit of my foot pain was discovered during the bike overhaul. Upon a close examination of my pedals and cleats, a slow disappointed shake of the head from Mitch, it was pointed out to me that the cleats has been shorn down on one side completely. Confirming why I had frequently numbing outside toes and a very sore right foot after long rides. Even though a change to news pedals at this point is a risk, I feel the likely reward outweighs the risk of finishing the course on my old pedals with my sore foot facing a marathon. Fingers crossed the gamble pays off.


Tomorrow is athlete checkin day. Hopefully, the weather will behave and I can sneak in a practice swim in the morning after registration which will be the first time I've been in the open water, due to this illness and a touch of overtraining (related? discuss), for a few weeks. Should be interesting.

The preparation that has gone in to this Ironman race has been far from ideal. However, there is nothing to be done about it now. As I sit here, I listen to an interview with an Australian lady who was diagnosed with ALS during her road to complete an Ironman. Sadly, she had to refocus her goals. That is, until her friends stepped in and helped her completed Ironman Australia. This is an example of the type of stories that motivate me to do such long distance events. They motivate me and bring the realisation that no matter what adversity with think we face in our everyday lives, someone somewhere in the world is facing a far greater struggle, putting our worries in to prospective. We never remember what is was that we worried about. We remember the good memories! So, with that said, Sunday will be a day to be savoured and enjoyed, no matter how much it hurts.

I am lucky enough to have enormous amounts of invaluable support this week, locally and from afar. This is part of the journey that you can never be thankful enough for. They push me forward and remind me how lucky one individual can be.

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment