Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The countdown has begun

T-minus.....

....18 days to race day. The tapering has finally begun. Crumpled lists are being drawn up for packing. Suitcases are being dusted off. Work is being finished, so vacation can be started.

I'm sure there will be some tinkering with equipment. Last minute additions and maybe even some flogging to death, or over analyzing on my part. Most importantly, I just can't wait to be out there and relaxing on the beach before the race. Excited to step in to the Med for the first time and go for a swim with the jelly fish.

The apartment where we are due to stay looks fantastic. The beach looks pebbly. The local markets seem enticing. And most importantly, the group should be great fun. All we need is the flights to be slightly less than full and off we go.

We have received our pre-race briefing packet. The Ironman races certainly have a lot more strict, head teacher type rules dotting the landscape. They are indeed a serious bunch. Naturally, the length of the event will be the biggest difference, but the way the event is conducted will also be starkly contrasting of any race I have done before. Transitions look different with all you clothing and goods in a bag instead of being laid out carefully by myself before the race. Hence, the transitions will be slower than I am used to. Quite frankly, what's a couple of extra minutes on top of 13, 14, or 15 hours anyway?!

As far as training goes, just a few more rides and runs and this will all come to a close. I expect there will be plenty of exercising going on after Ironman France, just not to the extent that we have been doing. Don't think I will hang up my riding and running spurs just yet, but I will be taking a well earned few weeks off. This experience certainly has been rewarding and challenging all at the same time and I can't wait get to the Finale.

Bring on Nice!

Good luck to us all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment