Sunday, June 24, 2012

They think it's all over. It is now!

Victory, Constitution and Napoleon all crossed the finish line at Ironman Nice yesterday.
Nothing we could have done, besides actually practicing on the course itself, could have prepared us properly for this feet.
The swim is one massive adult sand pit. Bodies everywhere, seemingly swinging punches and kicking out in all directions. A mass of sea spray and foam is all that awaits a potential Ironman upon the binging of the race. Not for the claustrophobic or those with a fear of drowning! The salt water did make a difference. Irritating the back of my neck, where the wetsuit joins the skin.
To Ironman Nice's detriment, what makes this swim so hard is that you can't see the seemingly enormous red buoys when you are in the water with even a small swell. This is then exaggerated when everyone finally spots the buoy and heads straight for it and causes a reenactment of the start at each turn. And even if you try to be smart and get out wide, you cause your own reenactment of the start. It's an exact reflection of how cows feel being herded!
Now, just as I was in the finishing stretch, already very tired from this underestimated swim, I had a coincidence with a jelly fish! I didn't even see it coming. I had thought it was the guy next to me who had scratched me in the face, but as the sting set in I realized that my worst fear for the swim had come true. Thank goodness for googles, as I would have had serious problems with eye sight had they not been there.
Not to be discouraged, although quitting then and there after that swim and that jelly fish was very tempting, I plugged on to the equally maniacal transition area. Threw on my bike gear and headed out for a brutal bike ride. Stinging face and all the chamois cream I could muster.

To say I was in a bad mood would have put it mildly. For the first 20miles all I could think of was whether someone would pee on my face to relieve the stinging. Ruling that put swiftly, I was immediately distracted as the hills began. I was just not ready for what lay ahead. Not rolling hills and wind like in Minnesota, just he longest climbs that I will ever do, ever! One section so steep it was described as 12%. Nothing could be as draining on body and mind as trawling along at 6miles an hour for almost 90 minutes, knowing that when you make it to the top, not only aren't you done, but you have over half the course left and at least two more climbs. That was the Col d'lecre.

Luckily, Napoleon caught me not too long after and gave me the boost I so dearly needed. He was a gent and stayed with me for what ended up being miles of fun downhill to ease off on the legs. It was a welcome respite. Although, as Constitution pointed out, the toll a long decent takes on your body is unexpected. Even though you are coasting, the fatigue on the upper body with the constant breaking and bending and the particular toll on the mind having to concentrate when already spent, is much more impacting than I had thought.

Finally, back out of the mountains, 7 hours and 9mins later the bike was done. How I was going to muster the strength to run a marathon was beyond me.

I knew I had to run slowly. Very slowly. The training kicked in at that point allowing me to keep the heart rate low and keep on plodding along. The first lap was really quite enjoyable. That was the last time that happened. The struggle began at the end of lap 2. There are four 10.2k loops for the marathon along the sea front and the last two were sheer pain and suffering. Nothing can describe the thought process going on just to push you around the course. Compounded by people falling like flies around you and medical sirens going off in all directions.

However, the final lap came and with everything in my locker I pushed to the finish. It was so relieving and welcome I can not put it in to words. I was an Ironman!

This journey has been unique in every way. I like to think I can predict a lot of things, but not one time to my expectations prepare me for any part of this. Training and racing. The people who kept us gunning for the finish were our wives, families and training partners. This was a journey that I will never forget and was a fantastic experience. Now, just like the hungover one always says, I AM NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN! :)

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment