Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Long rides and the burn

Been a while since I have had an entry. We have entered the specific Ironman training phase. Meaning that our workouts are longer and very time consuming, not to mention exhausting.

Completed 90miles on the bike last week for the long ride and then ran 40mins, as an example. Needless to say, that will tire you out in a hurry.

I am still sticking to the Maffetone plan, although it is becoming more challenging to stay disciplined and not exceed the heart rate parameters. However, I am seeing the benefits already. My pace is improving for a given heart rate and tomorrow, hopefully I will survive our next 90mile ride, along with a one hour transition run this time around. Typing about it makes me sleepy.

Bashed out a couple miles in the pool with Napoleon today. Felt really good, but that tends to be the case in the morning workouts. My tough time of day is around 2pm (right about now). The time when I feel most tired and all I want to do is nap for an hour. Some say this is a diet related reason. I say it's a working out far too much thing.

.....didn't manage to publish this post before long ride. Just back from BIG session. 100miles of biking followed by 1hr of running. Biked with Napoleon who is a strong cyclist. I am much weaker and feel I am paying for trying to keep up right now. Last week rode 88miles in 5hr50. This week, 6hrs and 100miles. Too quick for me and he still dropped me!! But for me as an individual, that kind of pace needs to be reserved for the "big day". I also received a wicked burn on my left calf as a gift. Stupid. Sunscreen is a must for the British! Off now to buy some now. Long run tomorrow. Have to figure out how to run and keep the burn covered.

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment