Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fatigue

Yesterday and today began and ended with fatigue.  I think a lot could be attributed to my lack of discipline when exercising each of the preceding days. I frequently allowed my heart rate to sore followed by a shortened cool down. If I am to make it to Nice without over training, I need to rediscover the discipline from last year. In 2011, I was very rigid in my approach to training, consistently resisting the urge to power on and maintaining my aerobic heart rates. 2012 has come with a brief repressing of that attitude, which had immediately lead to the current fatigue I am feeling (that and the 355am wakeup this morning).

I think it is more the draw of this immense challenge that is ahead of me. An odd impulse that I need to workout harder, or, to rephrase, longer to meet my goal. This is not true and I must reminds myself of that. Quality and aerobic. These were the keys to last year's success in the half ironman and they must be observed in 2012.

The reason I bring this up is because I don't want to just finish this challenge, but I want to enjoy the majority of it too. There will be downsides...mostly downsides in morale, more so than speed inducing boosts of energy/adrenaline. However, the true enjoyment will be gained knowing that I can do it before the date arrives. And the way to achieve that is to allow my body to make it. Depending on who you are, you need to get slower to get faster (stolen quote).

Now time for some rest. 4 am wakeup and not even for a run (I really miss running at the moment!)

Good luck to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment