Friday, January 27, 2012

Grand slam tennis and Ironman

This morning I have awoken in Winnipeg Canada.  It's early, as ever, but late in Australia. As a result I am afforded an opportunity to watch And Murray on the semi finals of the Australian open. It's 30c (88f ish ). The players have just completed a marathon 3rd set and you can see in both their faces how far their bodies have taken them.  You can see Andy has hit the "wall" and quickly his opponent does the same.

It's now 5-1 in the fourth and both men are seeing the classic ups and downs associated with Ironman. From one minute you see then power a rally along, then the next they can barely get across the court to reach a shot.

I see a lot of my race in the TV screen I currently see. Not a negative point, but more of an acceptance of the amazing body that we live in. The difference is that the opponent that we will see in France with new the outside environment. It's return shots are random and whenever my body wishes to acknowledge it. I can stop if I don't want to return and walk. The two players on tv right now don't have that luxury.

I woke to thinking about Ironman because of the dream I had about the swim. A surreal dream swim with only us three racing and a very relaxed, almost casual feeling about it. The first time I have felt such a feeling about the open water part of this race.

As I leave  the hotel for work, I see two tennis players in the 5th stretch. The equivalent home stretch. Legs are still with them, like watching two sluggers bashing it out in the final round. That's how I imagine it will feel coming down the chute in France. Can't wait for that feeling!

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment