Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Thresholds and swimming

The schedule of training and working certainly dawned on me this morning at 5am when I was awoken by my alarm, having only headed to bed 5 hours prior. I arrived home from work at only 11pm and didn't hit they hay until midnight. It was one of the more challenging wake ups I have had in recent times, yet I'm sure that the challenge of Ironman will far surpass this one. That is what makes you get up and go in the morning.

I arose before dawn to complete a threshhold workout. What this entails, is a good warmup followed by your maximum effort that you can stand for a defined period of time. This morning it was a 20min maximum effort. I crashed in on a regular bike class at Danielle Pellicanos. She is the coach we have for strength training who regularly kicks our behinds in to shape.

There were 7 weary cyclists this morning. All of us pushing it to "the max" in order that we may establish our heart rate zones for the bicycle. The goal of this is to allow for more effective training. Most notably, the prevention of overtraining. By knowing your heart rates, you are able to keep yourself in order and not allow yourself to push training sessions beyond what you should, thus allowing your body recovery when the schedule is busy. The irony- a threshold workout is complete knackering!

I am meant to be out swimming today, in addition to the threshold workout. With the chronic lack of sleep last night, I struggled to make it to the pool as of yet, but the day is young! Sleep dominated my day and I am a little frustrated with myself. I certainly had the time to do it, but was so fatigued that I chose the covers over the water. I can get away with it now, but not in the near future. This was a "key" swim and not to be missed.

Lunch was a good old fashioned beans on toast that should provide me with the energy to get to the pool this evening. 90mins hopefully achieved at the U of M pool.

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment