Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sleepy Triathlete

It's been another interesting week in the world of Ironman Training.  Efficiency reigned during my only 2 days off of the week (a period of time that seems normal to most people, but in the business of being away for such long periods of time, two days just is not sufficient). I managed to complete the important swims and the 3.5 hr indoor bike ride. However, due to the go go attitude of those days at home, rest suffered and that was apparent as I returned to work. Woke up very irritable and frustrated about returning to the road so soon. Even though I had completed the workout, I failed to rest enough. Subsequently, passively overtraining.  Often, in the real world of amateur triathletes who work a normal job and train in addition to their work schedule, we fail to rest appropriately, or even find the time to do so. There are those who are able to function and behave "normally" on little sleep. I am not one of those people. My body, I have discovered, demands extended resting and good sleep patterns. As I discovered this week with the lack of rest I allowed myself and the subsequent negative attitude it resulted in. At the same time, one must acknowledge the need to still function as a family member and contribute to such things as running of the house and shopping etc.. The danger is not contributing at all and simply coming home and training and resting, with nothing else being done. That does not promote a pleasant living environment, as it shouldn't.  Thus, as I will discover again this week (only another 2 days off) that us amateurs must find a balance. Certain training does need to get done, but not always at the expense of rest or contributing to our everyday lives. Sometimes, rest is best and the workout just will not get done. That's ok. Not all the time, of course, but occasionally.  I think I will truly be presented with this challenge in my upcoming trip home to the UK where I will have to balance revisiting and touring and still get some workouts in. I simply have to accept that they won't be as long as I would want and they won't be as frequent.nthis is quite often a touch thing for an Ironman triathlete to accept. I will do my best. Back home tomorrow, everything going to plan. Going to miss my favourite Oscars. Also need to plan my week of training coming up. Can't believe it's week 9 already!!! Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment