Thursday, February 16, 2012

Strength and Length(!)

Today has, so far, been productive and promises more. Completed a pretty hard working and intense hour of strength training this morning. There is definitely a lot to be said when training in a group, you being the only man in the bunch. For me, it pushes me far harder than with other male trainers. I think the reason lies in the mentality, more specifically, the male testosterone fueled bravado, of not wanting to seem weaker. The ladies today were all very motivated and at least one had done an Ironman before (athletes who are privileged enough to have completed this distance tend to wear as much clothing bearing the statement as possible, as will I!) and were pushing themselves to the max possible. A good, solid and enviable mentality, especially when you are paying the coach to push you.

With all this male bravado going on, I actually ended up pushing myself as well and having one of the most productive strength sessions of the year so far. Albeit tiring, yet quite pleasing.

Now, the downside of all this productive and motivating strength training is that one hour from now I shall be on a bike pedaling for three more. Holy bat sh@!t. That, at least, is the technical phrase. I suspect that by the end of the very long, yet somewhat spring like, day I shall be quite tired. Fortunately, along for the ride tonight is Constitution along for the 3 hours of biking. That at least should make it fly by and be a little less painful. Well, that and the excessive amount of cycling derrière cream I shall have on.

Off to work for four days tomorrow. Have a  nice long run planned along Lake Toronto. Hopefully the weather will cooperate, along with the airline schedules.

Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment