Thursday, December 22, 2011

12 Days of Christmas swim



So this is what you hand looks like after you have swum in an indoor pool for 5850 yards (2.5hours).

I had seen an article in Triathlete magazine and decided to give this massive challenge a shot, in order to free up some calories for the forthcoming holiday.

The premise of this workout is similar to the song. You have twelve "days" (75 yard swims) which are broken up in to various swim styles and drills. Then just like the song, you swim along gradually working you way up to the 12th "day".  5,850 yards later I was done. Let me just say that the final stint in the pool was a great mental challenge. You are physically spent. You arms and shoulders feel almost numb. Willing yourself to complete "days" 12-1 is likely similar to the will power I might need to finish of this Ironman task next year. Just keep plugging at it and the end will always get closer. The concentration was an interesting task in itself. Once Napoleon was forced to stop at "day 8" (time constraints for work) I was by myself. Being able to continue to focus on your technique and which day was next was a constant challenge.

I think nutrition would have been a smart plan. All I had was some water and what I had consumed for breakfast - nutella on toast!

I am very glad I did it. This will be a major psychological boost for the Ironman swim. It was about a mile longer than the swim in Nice and, albeit without savage jelly fish, I managed to finish it all off within the max time allowed for race day. What a great result!

Now for some much needed recovery nutrition and perhaps a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment