Monday, December 19, 2011

The rolling hills of Madison and some endorphins!

Been on a trip for a few days now and managed some nice chilly runs. Ran along the river in Bismarck for a nice, easy and pleasant run. Not that you would expect anything else from North Dakota, but I managed a sighting of a buffalo, mountain goat, donkey and a flock of migrating water fowl. Not bad for your average run (the zoo helped!)
Lots of 4am wake-ups which, after a workout the previous day, can require the equivalent of a forklift truck to prise me out of the hotel bed - that or the bed bugs normally do the trick! However, the body has bee recovering nicely, especially seeing as I forgot to pack a lot of my nutrition that I like to have along for and after hour plus long runs.
Today was a nice long 7.8 mile run and I decided that it would be hilly and that I would elevate the heart rate and "tempo", or raise the pace up the hills. It was a great feeling and I got to have a peak at how my heart rate is reacting as we progress towards the new season. I must admit that the Classic Power Rock that Pandora was blasting out did help a lot. I normally resist running with music, but some of these winter runs alone do require it. That, along with the huge endorphin rush I received for the body around mile 5, made this run a f-ing fantastic one! Dread to think what anyone watching me during that endorphin rush was thinking.
Tomorrow is home day, my favourite day of the week. Get to finish up the work week and fly back to Minneapolis to the family and celebrate our Christmas. My wife has no idea I bought her.....good effort!
Until next time, good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment