Thursday, December 1, 2011

Goal - France Ironman, Nice



Victory, Constitution and Napoleon are all famous naval ships from the UK, US and France respectively. They represent myself and my US and French training friends who will attempt IRONMAN FRANCE in 2012 - a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and, to conclude, a 26.2 mile marathon - 140.6!

This blog is to serve the purpose of outlet. To relieve the stresses of training for Ironman France in Nice, 2012. This is certain to be the most challenging undertaking of my life. Normally, when attempting a challenge, I am confident that, before I begin, I will overcome the task. This is will be the first time I simply do not know how it will end.

Triathlons have been a fixture for me since about 2004, after completing the first sprint triathlon in Lake Estes, Colorado. It's been downhill from there. There is always a longer more challenging event around the corner.

Quite frankly, I just want to finish- 15 hours or less is needed. Nice is unique in the fact that the course is very hilly and we swim in the Med. Sea. The sea element is distinctly concerning, as it took enough of an effort to swim through the weeds of our local training lake for the past few years. Having and exotic fish life visible and nearby will likely have an impact of the heart rate. Ideally, I would like to keep it low in the swim - my strongest discipline - in order to save it for the bike - my weakest.

Anyway, as "Napoleon" likes to say, the ........ is your friend (insert as needed).

Today, we drew up the budget. Having already spent $1000+ on a new bike this passed week, the budget was a brutal one. $600 just to get in to the race! I have established a training binder with a blatantly plagiarised training plan. Coincidentally, the plan is from 1999/2000 season and the days and dates almost match up. A sign, if you will.

That said, training starts Monday....

No comments:

Post a Comment